Reading at home
(1) ask them questions about what they just read this helps their comprehension,
(2) who were the characters in the story
(3) setting of the story (time or place)
(4) retell the story in their own words,
(5) Use context clues: review vocabulary words and any other words in the story that your child doesn't understand. One way to understand what a word might mean in the story is to read the sentence that contains the vocabulary word as well as the sentence before and after it. Look for clues that could tell you what the word might mean.