Hello and Welcome!
O'Grady Elementary- School of Humanities and Social Sciences is a school that is a vibrant, inclusive community of students and educators committed to connecting our teaching and learning with policy for the betterment of society. Our mission will be to tackle society's greatest challenges with a vision toward shaping a future that we can all thrive in, both individually and collectively.
As a school counselor, I work with students, staff, families, and community members. My goal is to help create a welcoming, positive, and inclusive learning community where all students are safe, valued, heard, and understood.
Together we will ensure success for all of our students
What is the role of a School Counselor?
The role of the School Counselor is to help all students at their local campus to fully develop academic, career, personal, social and emotional abilities. The counselor is an educator who delivers a comprehensive guidance program in the school as recommended by the Texas Education Agency (TEA).
Why contact a School Counselor?
To assist a student and family with:
- Transition to a new school or grade
- Family transitions (divorce, remarriage, siblings, death etc.)
- Crisis situations together with campus assigned LPC (licensed professional counselor).
- Personal needs or concerns of students (friendship, illness, stress, anxiety, worry etc.)
- Academic achievement concerns
All students receive services through regular scheduled classroom guidance lessons on a bi-weekly basis. Topics and content may include lessons on:
- Self-awareness and acceptance
- Interpersonal and communication skills
- Character education
- Conflict resolution
- Emotional recognition and regulation
- Growth mindset
- Decision making/problem solving
- Career and academic planning
A School Counselor assists students with any immediate personal concerns, crisis or event that is causing stress in the academic environment through individual or small group counseling sessions. If additional support is needed referrals to Mission C.I.S.D. Licensed Professional Counselors are available.